• A Trolley Ride (p8) – The Substation

    A Trolley Ride (p8) – The Substation

    With our journey along the Lake Linden Branch finished, our return trip back up the hill to Laurium took another half hour. It was slightly before 10 am by the time we arrived at the top of the hill a...

  • A Trolley Ride (p3)

    A Trolley Ride (p3)

    Moving past the Hancock Car Barn, our Lake Linden bound street car turns eastward towards the collection of mining communities located atop Quincy Hill. Along the way we pass by the towering rock hous...

  • A Trolley Ride (p1)

    A Trolley Ride (p1)

    Though not the largest in the state the 32 miles of track that make up the Houghton Country Traction Company electric railway manage to travel across a great swath of the peninsula,  making its way th...

  • A Streetcar Revisited

    A Streetcar Revisited

    Several years ago during CCE’s informative early years we had come across the remains of an old trolley car rotting away in a field atop St. Louis Hill. For an early CC explorer it was an amazin...

Houghton County Traction Company

“The boom years that occurred at the turn of the 19th century quickly transformed Calumet and the surrounding communities into a modern metropolis. Electric lights, paved roads, modern plumbing, and even opera houses quietly ushered in a new modern era. The coming of the trolley line in 1901 yelled it from the rooftops.

The Houghton County Traction Company started in 1900, building an interurban line between Houghton/Hancock and Boston Location. While the villages and towns across the copper country welcomed this development, the mines (most notably C&H) were adamantly opposed to them. Trolleys would allow dispersed workers from across the communities to easily travel to centralized locations – possibly even union meetings. The ugliness climaxed with C&H threatening the village of Red Jacket with cessation of water service if the trolley was allowed right-of-way on village streets. In the end however the trolley – and the progress it represented – could not be stopped. The line was fully extended to Calumet and further north to Mohawk by 1908.”