The Mineral Range Railroad began its life in 1873 as a short 14 mile line connecting Hancock and Calumet. In this original configuration the majority of the railroad’s surface structures were located in Hancock, including its locomotive house and machine shops. But over the years the line expanded to cover more than 90 miles, and included trackage obtained from its merger with its competitor: the Hancock and Calumet Railroad. By the turn of the century the majority of the railroad’s business was to the north, along several mines between Calumet and Mohawk. For the sake of efficiency the railroad was forced to move its base of operations north to Calumet. In the process the company constructed a new roundhouse and several support structures just outside of the village – at a point where C&H would later build its trestle along its line to Red Jacket.