With the discovery and development of the Osceola Amygdaloid lode, the fledging mining company of the same name quickly became successful. By 1880 the company had sunk four shafts, and a stable work force had become a necessity. Along the narrow dirt road leading to the mine, the company constructed a row of log houses that would be used to house workers and their families. As the mine grew, so did the number of houses. Soon a second and third street was laid across the location, and dozens of new houses were built, including more opulent houses for mine captains and agents. With families came children, and the company added a school. Within a generation, the mining location of Osceola had grown from a few houses and families, to a bustling village of over 1500.