The first organized mining company to sink shafts into the Copper Country was the Lake Superior Copper Company, which began explorations along the banks of the Eagle River in 1844. Known today as the Old Phoenix, this original Copper Country Mine drove several drifts and shafts into the high cliffs near the river and built the region’s first stamp mill in 1845. Years later the company was reorganized as the Phoenix Copper Company, and began mining along a new copper vein a half mile to the south. The “new” Phoenix Mine was born.
Over the next 40 years the company continued its operations at the Phoenix Mine, opened new workings to the west (known as the West Vein or Robbins), and consolidated with the St. Claire mine to the north – all without success. The mine was later bought up by the Keweenaw Copper Company, which also had limited success. Finally it ended up in the hands of C&H, which deepened the mine in search of a mother-lode of copper that it never found. The mine closed for good in 1931.