The last great copper find north of the Portage occurred in 1898 when – as legend has it – copper was discovered clinging to the roots of a fallen tree deep in the wilderness north of Calumet. The copper’s origin was a shallow outcropping of the Kearsarge Amygdaloid lode, a copper-rich lode just recently discovered a few miles to the south. Subsequent explorations in the area revealed a mile long strip of copper-rich rock sitting just below the surface. Quickly a pair of shafts were driven into the lode and the Mohawk Mining Company came into existence.
The Mohawk Mine was blessed from the start, the shallow and rich lode below its feet giving up over 6 million pounds of copper by 1903. The copper was coming so quick that the mine was forced to build its own stamp mill within a few years of sinking its first shafts. The Mohawk Mill was built alongside the Wolverine Mill at Gay, the two mills sharing both a pump-house and a superintendent. Back at the mine-site, the Mohawk’s initial shafts shared an impressive surface plant complete with Nordberg Hoist, boiler house, and compressor building. Connecting the mine and mill was the eleven-mile Mohawk and Traverse Bay Railroad, which was operated by the mine and also served the Wolverine Mine to the south.