The Copper Falls mine was one of the regions pioneers, established when the government was still issuing land leases out of Porters Island. At this early stage the Keweenaw was still a rather remote and inaccessible land, and copper prospectors were limited by the rugged geography inherent of the peninsula. Luckily the grand bluff on which the mine would lay claim was conveniently located near a natural harbor – known today as Eagle Harbor. The harbor’s first tenant was the Eagle Harbor Mining Company, which worked a small fissure vein nearby. The company would work to improve the harbor and establish a small commercial village on is west shore.
As was the case at the time, the discovery of copper by the Eagle Harbor prompted others to rush to the area in search of more copper riches. One of those groups were fortunate enough to stumble across several large pieces of copper at the base of a small waterfall. An exploratory adit was driven into the stream bed and soon a promising vein of copper was discovered. The stream would become known as Owl Creek, and the discovered fissure known as the Copper Falls vein, named after the waterfall in which it was discovered. The year was 1845 and the Copper Falls mine had been born.”