For half a century the southern range was virtually ignored as the copper lodes to the north produced the majority of the Keweenaw’s copper and nurtured the regions richest and most powerful mine companies. But even as the great mines to the north tightened their grip of the peninsula’s finite resources, they were letting pass through their fingers an equally rich range of opportunity to the south – the Baltic Lode.
The Baltic Lode was first discovered in 1882, but it would take more than a decade before the first mine arrived to exploit it. That mine was the Baltic, and it sunk its first shaft along the slopes of Six Mile Hill in 1897. Soon that first shaft would be joined by four others and in the process the small community of Baltic would arise in their shadows. In 1917 the mine was bought up by the Copper Range Company, which would go on to take control of the entire southern range as well. During that time the Baltic Mine’s surface plant was modernized and improved, culminating in several large structures including boiler houses, hoist houses, change houses, and a large sandstone and brick machine shop.