It was the discovery of exposed copper within the rocky ledges of a rugged waterfall that gave birth to the Copper Falls mine – an enterprise that managed to produce nearly 13,000 tons of copper and pay out over $100,000 dollars in dividends during its lifetime. The mine’s success spawned a pair of offsprings, mines that worked lands set off from the Copper Falls immense holdings around 1863. The first of these was the Petherick Mine, named after the Copper Falls Mine’s agent Captain William Petherick. It would make an attempt to mine the Ashbed lode just west of the Copper Falls for several years but only managed to produce just a little over 167,000 pounds of copper during its life. Unfortunately its sibling to the west – the Arnold – would be equally as productive. Both mines would be abandoned by the turn of the century, their boilers and engines removed and the remaining infrastructure left to be reclaimed by nature and forgotten by the passage of time. But one of these mines would survive to live another day – thanks to its hydrological neighbor to the east.