The Ahmeek Mine began its life as a failure – in an unsuccessful attempt to mine the Houghton Conglomerate lode in 1880. After two shafts were sunk and very little copper was discovered, the mine was abandoned. It wasn’t until almost a quarter of a century later when the copper-rich Kearsarge Amygdaloid lode was discovered on the property that the mine made a second go at it. This time success was more forthcoming, as the Ahmeek quickly became one of the Keweenaw peninsula’s most productive mines and caught the eye of the great C&H – which bought up the company in 1923.
Ahmeek No. 2 gained a rather deserved reputation of being highly profitable, as it set several records in yearly ore production and became the most productive single shaft in Copper Country history. Its skip became known as the “Money Maker” as every trip to the surface meant profit for the mine. The shaft featured an elaborate surface plant, complete with a central power plant and rockhouse which served both it and the No. 1 shaft to the south. The shaft worked well past the C&H consolidation, closing shop along with its siblings to the north in the mid ’60s.