It wasn’t long before C&H’s success prompted several more mine companies to set up shop nearby, bringing with them a deluge of new workers to the region. Unfortunately the small village of Red Jacket was physically unable to make room for these new arrivals, since it was bordered on all sides by C&H property. Taking advantage of the situation would be C&H’s neighbor to the east, the Laurium Mining Company. In 1877 the newly formed company began selling off lots within its land holding, platting out the village of Calumet in the process. Overflow from Red Jacket quickly moved in and Calumet’s population swelled to over 5,000. Before long this growing population would demand its own post office, and the town was forced to change its name from Calumet (a name already taken by the Red Jacket post office) to Laurium.
From the beginning Laurium was primarily a residential community, though it did mange to develop its own modest commercial district. Since most of the area’s working class lived in company provided housing, Laurium became home to primarily the rich and elite: mine managers, agents, business owners and the like. Soon the village streets became lined with some of the largest and most opulent homes in the Keweenaw – most built in the elaborate Queen Anne Style.