As with most towns along the Keweenaw owed their existence to a neighboring mine, towns that sprung up along the shores of Torch Lake owed theirs to a nearby smelter or mill. The industrial complex that C&H had constructed just south of Lake Linden sprawled along the lake shore for nearly a mile. Along with its two stamp mills and massive coal yards, the mine also constructed a smelter for refining copper and casting it into ingots for shipping east. The smelter’s position at the southern end of C&H’s industrial complex – too far from Lake Linden for workers to travel – prompted the mine’s establishment of the small town of Hubbell.
Several years later in 1890 the Tamarack Mining Company invested in the construction of its own massive stamp mill complex along the shore of Torch Lake just south of Hubbell. In 1896 a second mill was joined the Tamarack’s, this one belonging to the Osceola Mining Company. By the end of the century over five mills would be congregate in the same area, and the surrounding landscape quickly became over run with worker housing. The area would become known as Tamarack Mills and later incorporated into Tamarack City. The resulting sprawl made its way right up to the Hubbell city limits, and the two towns essentially became one.