The Albany & Boston was an early settler, first arriving to the scene in 1860. Its eastern investors – hailing from New York and Massachusetts unsurprisingly – had hoped to cash in on the copper riches fabled to be found in this far flung wilderness. A pair of shafts were sunk, a stamp mill erected, and a small stream impounded to supply the mill and mine with water. In the midst of it all a small collection of worker housing began to take shape and the village of Boston was born. Unfortunately instead of riches the young mine found only debt and heartache, the mine was closed and the small town abandoned.
A second group of investors gave the region a second go around in 1882 and the old mine became the Peninsula. Once again the town blossomed as the mine was once again put into production. Yet the end result was no different and the old mine and town were forgotten yet again. It wasn’t until around 1900 when a third mine decided to open up shop atop the old Albany and Boston holdings, a mine by the name of the Franklin Jr. This time things went a bit differently. The Franklin Jr. would go on to produce copper for the next twenty years and with it the small town of Boston would flourish.