Laurium

The First Baptist

featured

In the early years of Laurium – then known confusingly as Calumet – one of the first churches to arrive to the scene was the First Baptist, formed around 1895. The congregation elected to build ...

Read More »

Prosperity Lost (p8)

featured

After passing by the 1st National Bank you find yourself on the north end of 3rd street, and while the village continues for two more blocks up to 1st Street, the commercial district for all ...

Read More »

Prosperity Lost (p4)

featured

Following the impressive sandstone beauty that is the Marta Block our tour of Laurium follows that gem up with a pair of not so glorious buildings – though I’m sure at one time they were. ...

Read More »

Prosperity Lost (p2)

featured

As was the case with most of the Copper Country’s growing communities, the commercial district of early Calumet was molded by only a handful of influential people. In addition to Mr. Vivian, who we discussed ...

Read More »

Prosperity Lost (p1)

featured

When Captain Vivian built his store along the newly formed Village of Calumet’s eastern end, the village was still only a child. But with Vivian’s success came a wave of imitators who arrived to Hecla ...

Read More »

Where It All Began

featured

The Laurium Mining Company was just another in a long line of speculative ventures launched at the dawn of the Keweenaw’s mineral rush, purchasing two sections of land in an area just to the east ...

Read More »

Homes of the Rich and Famous

featured

As with most American communities, the Red Jacket region was starkly divided by class and social standing. While the village itself was predominantly home to immigrants and laborers, the same couldn’t be said for the ...

Read More »

The Laurium Commercial School

featured

While Houghton had the Mining College, and Hancock Suomi College, Laurium had its own institution of higher learning in the form of the Laurium Commercial School. Established in 1899 by a Mr. J. F. Reinier, ...

Read More »

Columns and Capitals

featured

As the peninsulas more affluent neighborhood it was no surprise that Laurium’s business district was anchored by two grandiose bank buildings, each apparently built to overshadow their neighbor across the street. On the one corner ...

Read More »

The Sandstone Station

featured

Early automobiles actually had a rather healthy fuel economy, with the early Model T’s getting about 15-20 MPG and the Model A’s about 25. With standard tank sizes of ten gallons, most early cars had ...

Read More »

Out of Place

featured

Sitting at the corner of Pewabic and First Streets in Laurium stands this impressive sandstone building. It’s obviously a commercial block and looks to be built in the standard style with storefronts on the first ...

Read More »

Pewabic and 3rd

featured

Today we start another feature here at Explorer: Then and Now. While our exploration journals take a look at the past through the ruins that remain, and Copper Country Window takes a look at the ...

Read More »

Prosperity to Ruin

featured

a town now in ruin The prosperity of the Copper Country slowly died along with the industry that provided it, until the bottom fell out with the closing of C&H in the late ’60s. While ...

Read More »

First National Bank

featured

Calumet and Laurium are geographical close enough to be considered one town but were light years apart in terms of character. While Calumet consisted of miners, railroad workers and the like; Laurium housed the upper ...

Read More »