• From the Ashes (p8) – The Therrian Building

    From the Ashes (p8) – The Therrian Building

    The great fire was a wake up call to Lake Linden, prompting the village to institute new rules and regulations when it came to what could be rebuilt in the fire’s wake. After the flames were dou...

  • A Tale of Two Churches (p2)

    A Tale of Two Churches (p2)

    In the fall of 1905 the village of Lake Linden was in full bloom, its population swelling and its downtown littered with modern stone and brick buildings. A brand new town hall had been completed year...

  • A Survivor’s Story

    A Survivor’s Story

    With the arrival of C&H’s mills to the area in the late 1860′s, what was once a predominantly French-Canadian community found itself besieged by a more diverse group of immigrants loo...

  • A Tale of Two Churches (p1)

    A Tale of Two Churches (p1)

    The small lumber village of Torch Lake found itself thrust into the modern age with the arrival of C&H’s stamp mills in 1867. It was immediately greeted by an influx of immigrants in search...

Lake Linden

“William Harris was one of Lake Linden’s most prominent citizens, having not only ran a successful mercantile business in town but also serving as the village’s first mayor. After the devastating fire of 1887 decimated twelve city blocks, Harris helped finance the rebuilding effort with several grand – and most importantly fireproof – buildings. One of those buildings was Mr. Harris’s own private residence, a unique Queen-Anne style brick home on the corner of Hecla and Second streets.”

St. Joseph’s School

featured

It was 1881 when Lake Linden’s first parochial school began holding classes within the private home of Mrs. Pierre Pichette. The first class consisted of about 70 children, but as the village grew so too did the makeshift school. Five ... More »

A Tale of Two Churches (p2)

featured

In the fall of 1905 the village of Lake Linden was in full bloom, its population swelling and its downtown littered with modern stone and brick buildings. A brand new town hall had been completed years earlier, and its soaring ... More »

A Tale of Two Churches (p1)

featured

The small lumber village of Torch Lake found itself thrust into the modern age with the arrival of C&H’s stamp mills in 1867. It was immediately greeted by an influx of immigrants in search of work at the new mills, ... More »

The Survivors

featured

Once the south side of Lake Linden was home to a sprawling industrial complex of massive buildings, miles of criss-crossing railroad tracks, and a soaring grove of soot-spewing smokestacks. This was C&H’s contribution to Lake Linden’s skyline, a trio of ... More »

A Survivor’s Story

featured

With the arrival of C&H’s mills to the area in the late 1860′s, what was once a predominantly French-Canadian community found itself besieged by a more diverse group of immigrants looking for work in the newly opened mills. As the ... More »

From the Ashes (p5)

featured

While Lake Linden may have only been a mill town it happened to be the largest mill town on the Copper Range and the center of commerce along the Torch Valley. By 1918 over 2500 people called the village home, ... More »

From the Ashes (p1)

featured

It was just shy of noon on a hot and dry spring day in 1887 when the first alarm sounded. Flames and smoke had been spotted coming from a downtown mercantile block, spreading quickly through the old building’s upper floor. ... More »

A Corner Lost in Time

featured

William Harris was one of Lake Linden’s most prominent citizens, having not only ran a successful mercantile business in town but also serving as the village’s first mayor. After the devastating fire of 1887 decimated twelve city blocks, Harris helped ... More »

Showing Its Religious Roots

featured

It’s most recently known as the E-Center, home to the now defunct Little Gem Theater. Before that it was Lake Linden’s Elementary School, before being replaced by the modern structure now serving the village’s youth. But before all that the ... More »