The Stella Cheese Company began its life from a small farm factory in Lake Nebagamon Wisconsin in 1917. The company soon expanded, setting up plants throughout northern Wisconsin. Around 1933 the company began to open plants in the Upper Peninsula, one in Mass City and another in a series of abandoned mine buildings at the old Baltic Mine location. The factory at Baltic operated for another 30 years, serving as a vital employer for over a hundred local residents while the mines surrounding it systematically closed down. Unfortunately, dwindling milk supplies in Michigan in the 60′s forced the plant to close as well and the company to contract its operations back to Wisconsin. For the next 30 years the plant lay derelict and abandoned, and has been all but forgotten by local historians.