The Champion Mill was the last. The Atlantic Mill was the first, built along the red cliffs at Redrige in 1895. Soon others followed. As the mines along the south range (south of Houghton) opened in increasing numbers, the need for processing facilities became urgent. And while the mines to the north concentrated their mill operations along the shores of Torch Lake, these southern mines did not have the luxury of such a large and deep body of water nearby. They would have to settle for a more distant shore to build their mills – the Lake Superior Shore. Thanks to the Atlantic Mill already operating at Redridge, transportation routes had already been established from the south range to the shore and the small town of Redridge was alive and bustling. This opened up large runs of shore nearby, and other companies sooned followed to stake their claim. By 1901 the Atlantic was joined by the Baltic, and within the year three more were built. In total 5 mills lined the shore here including the Atlantic, Baltic, Adventure, Trimountain, and at the end of the line, the Champion. By the 60’s all would be gone – except the Champion.