C&H Mills

Agassiz’s first job as the Calumet mine’s new manager was the erection of a stamp mill, a task his predecessor had failed to complete. Around 1867 a new mill was built along the shores of a newly formed lake at the north end of the Calumet property – a lake known as Calumet Dam. One of the first structures erected on the site was a large sandstone clad pump house and companion boiler house. While the old pump house is no longer standing, its boiler house has managed to survive to this day.

C&H Mills

The Spillway at Calumet Dam

The first Calumet Dam was built by beavers, which had created a small pond to the north of Red Jacket…
C&H Mills

The Survivors

Once the south side of Lake Linden was home to a sprawling industrial complex of massive buildings, miles of criss-crossing…