Shafts

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Types

Click on an image below for more information.

Seneca No. 3

Seneca No. 3

Mohawk – While the Seneca Mine may have closed down over a half century ago it continues to serve as home for a community of bats – thanks to the specially designed bat-cage adorning its No.3 shaft.

C&H (Osceola) No.13

Calumet – The modern surface plant which adorns this old C&H shaft was part of the company’s last ditch effort to re-open the Osceola lode and discover new caches of copper.

Calumet No.3

Calumet – Home to a disastrous fire that resulted in the death of eight workers and the closure of the mine for over five months, C&H’s old Calumet No.3 shaft would be sealed off and never opened again.

Centennial No.2

Centennial – The struggling Centennial Mine opened two shafts atop a small slice of the copper rich Kearsarge lode found along the outskirts of its property in 1899 – a move that would end up saving the struggling mine from extinction.

Centennial No.3

Centennial – The Centennial Mine began its life as the Schoolcraft, opening the No.2 around 1869 to only limited success. A half century later C&H would give it another try, erecting the temporary shaft rockhouse seen today.

Centennial No.6

Kearsarge – As one of the last operating shafts to close, the Centennial No.6 features the region’s most modern and technologically advanced surface plant – a surface plant that continues to stand to this day.

Central No. 2

Central – In 1872 ten miners lost their lives in this shaft when the man-car they were riding in broke free from its cable and dropped several thousand feet to the bottom.

Champion No. 3

Champion No. 3

Painesdale – The old railroad spur that once served this dismantled shaft has been replaced with a road, providing an intimate view of the massive sandstone and concrete foundation that remains.

Champion No. 4

Champion No. 4

Painesdale – This towering steel sheathed shaft house was once one of four identical structures erected by the Champion Mine at the turn of the century to pillage its portion of the Baltic Lode.

Isle Royale No.6

Houghton – The Isle Royale Mine was originally organized to mine the island of the same name, but fading fortunes forced its move to the mainland and a stretch of copper rich lode above Houghton.

Mesnard No.8

Hancock – Originally opened in 1862, the old Mesnard Mine would later end up in the hands of the neighboring Quincy Mine. Over a century later it would be home to a last ditch effort to re-open the region’s copper industry to no avail.

Mohawk No.5

Mohawk – The concrete foundations from this old Mohawk shaft’s rock house sit right alongside the road along conveniently labeled No.5 road.

Mohawk No.6

Mohawk – The last shaft to be sunk by the Mohawk Mine, the remains of the No.6 are adorned by a towering concrete pillar once used to support the rock house’s drop hammer.

North Kearsarge No. 1

North Kearsarge No. 1

Kearsarge – Massive rock piles and a scattering of ruins are all that remains of the town’s namesake found just north of town.

North Kearsarge No. 3

North Kearsarge No. 3

Kearsarge – Though not nearly as productive as its younger brother, the No.3’s legacy is the unique hillside ruins of its sprawling surface plant.

Osceola No.3

Calumet – This Osceola shaft was the scene of the Keweenaw’s worst mining accident – a tragic 1895 fire that resulted in the deaths of thirty underground workers.

Osceola No.6

Calumet – Located on lands once belonging to the old Opechee mine, the last of Osceola’s shafts was outfitted with a modern surface plant by C&H, most of which continues to stand today.

Quincy No.9

Hancock – Sitting on land originally owned by the failed Pontiac Mine, this remote shaft was part of a failed effort by the Quincy Mine to open new land along the Pewabic Lode.

Quincy No.2

Hancock – Built in 1908 to replace an earlier wood structure, this five story steel monstrosity represented a Copper Country at its peak, utilizing the most advanced and efficient mining methods available at the time.

Tamarack No.4

Calumet – Dropping over 4500 feet straight down into the earth, this shaft would become infamous when 7-year old Ruth Ann Miller fell down the poorly capped shaft to her death in 1966.

Wolverine No.3

Kearsarge – This successful mine opened a total of four shafts along its rather copper rich section of the Kearsarge Lode, prompting the establishment of the nearby community of Wolervine.