Seneca Mine

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Types

The Seneca Mine was first established in 1860, having bought itself a rather large tract of land deep within the peninsula’s interior – some 3000 acres worth. In 1880 the company set off a third of is holdings to form the neighboring Ahmeek Mine. The first major mining to occur on the site was done at the turn of the century along the Kearsarge Lode, but the limited space that mine was afforded forced it closure by 1911. In 1916 the mine was re-opened yet again, now known as the Seneca Copper Company, and a new shaft was sunk vertically into the Kearsarge from the west. In 1919 the mine bought up its neighbor to the south – the Gratiot – and added those shafts to its own.

In total the Seneca would consist of four shafts; its original shaft to the north, its vertical shaft to the west (the No.1), and the two Gratiot shafts on the east end (No.2 and No.3). The mine would continue to work for another decade or before it too was idled by the approaching Depression. In 1945 the mine would be bought up by C&H who promptly began work re-opening the No.2 shaft. The mine would be closed for good along with C&H in the late 1960s.

Click on an image below for more information.

Seneca No. 3

Seneca No. 3

Mohawk – While the Seneca Mine may have closed down over a half century ago it continues to serve as home for a community of bats – thanks to the specially designed bat-cage adorning its No.3 shaft.