Power Houses

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Types

Click on an image below for more information.

C&H Power House

C&H Power House

Lake Linden – Producing some 8000 KW’s of power, this electric generating plant provided electricity to not only C&H’s massive mill complex, but also the mine itself some six miles away.

Houghton Power House

Houghton Power House

Houghton – This large sandstone building once housed electric generators for the Peninsular Electric Light and Power Company, the Copper Country’s earliest electric utility company.

Lake Linden Power House

Lake Linden Power House

Lake Linden – One of two independent power stations built by the region’s premier private utility company – Peninsula Electric Light and Power Company – this old turbine building once provided power to both Lake Linden and neighboring Laurium and Calumet.

Quincy Turbine Building

Quincy Turbine Building

Mason – This threes story concrete structure was built in 1921 to provide electric power to the neighboring mills.