Copper Country Heritage Guide - Types

When the first copper mines began to explore the Keweenaw for its copper riches, the Keweenaw was a highly rugged and unforgiving land. The long and harsh winters, hot and bug infested summers, and the thin soil and short growing season took a toll on the early settlers that attempted to carve a life out of the wilderness. To make matters worse, the job of mining in itself was dangerous and extremely hard. Mine accidents were common place, and several times a week the mines would cut down a man in his prime. Without hospitals and doctors most sicknesses – even minor ones – would often end in death while babies born on the peninsula had a good chance of dying before their tenth birthday.

This harsh reality of the Keweenaw can be easily appreciated at any one of the regions several cemeteries and burial grounds. Chiseled into the worn and broken markers scattered across these sites are the names of the men, women and children that met their maker along the rugged slopes and wind-swept shores of the peninsula.

Click on an image below for more information.

Calvary Cemetery

Ahmeek – The youngest cemetery in the Copper Country, this good sized burial ground was established in 1912 to serve the burgeoning mine locations at Mohawk and Ahmeek.

Cliff Cemetery (Catholic)

Cliff Cemetery (Catholic)

Phoenix – First used around 1866, the remains of this picturesque cemetery lie shrouded among a lush carpet of clover deep within an old cedar forest.

Hillside Cemtery

Hillside Cemtery

Phoenix – One of two cemeteries to serve the Cliff Mine, the Hillside sits up against the base of the neighboring cliff and served the Protestants.

Copper Harbor Cemetery

Copper Harbor Cemetery

Copper Harbor – Set along the base of Brockway Mountain this 150 year old burial ground is one of the peninsula’s oldest, established for the peninsula’s earliest settlers and prospectors.

Evergreen Cemetery

Eagle River – This roadside cemetery was fist established by one of the peninsula’s earliest mining company’s – the Lake Superior – to serve residents of both Eagle River and its own mine location further inland.

Forest Hills Cemetery

Houghton – This sprawling garden style cemetery was established in 1862 to serve the needs of Houghton’s burgeoning population, and continues to be used still today.

Hecla Cemetery

Laurium – Originally established in 1880, this small cemetery set within C&H’s Hecla Location was quickly abandoned and today is hardly recognizable in its heavily overgrown state.

Jacobsville Cemetery

Jacobsville Cemetery

Jacobsville – Established originally in 1892 for the fledging town of Craig, this remote cemetery would later serve the collection of quarry towns and their predominantly Finnish populations established nearby.

Lakeside Cemetery

Hancock – Established in 1895 this large garden style cemetery sitting atop a wooded bluff overlooking the Portage Canal succeeded a pair of neglected sectarian plots located in town.

Lakeview Cemetery

Calumet – Established in the popular garden style, this sprawling cemetery outside of Calumet quickly became the community’s preferred burial ground and grew to become the region’s largest.

Mountain View Cemetery

Mountain View Cemetery

South Range – Set within the shadow of nearby Whealkate Mountain, this large burial ground caterred to the burgeoning mining towns popping up along the newly opened South Range.

Maple Hill / Mt. Calvary Cemeteries

Lake Linden – These neighboring cemeteries were established to serve the lumber and mill towns within the Traprock Valley, and are home to some of the area’s earliest French Canadian pioneers.

Oskar Cemetery

Houghton – This small secluded cemetery was established around 1888 to service the equally small Finnish community of Oskar located along the Portage Canal.

Pine Grove Cemetery

Eagle Harbor – A lush blanket of fern partially obscure the iron crossed and stone monuments scattered about this 1859 burial ground established to serve the port town of Eagle Harbor.

Redridge Cemetery

Redridge – This small road-side cemetery was established around 1910 to serve the emerging mill towns lining Lake Superior near Redridge.

Schoolcraft Cemetery

Calumet – It was the Schoolcraft Mine that set aside land for the Calumet area’s first cemetery in 1865, a burial ground that was later abandoned and forgotten for several generations until being recently rediscovered.

Waasa Cemetery

Hancock -This small secluded burial ground served the community of Finnish farmers that staked claim to the highlands north of Hancock.