Painesdale

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Locations

If any Copper Country mine company could be considered on par with the size and scope of the great C&H it would be the Copper Range. By 1920 the company had controlling interest in almost the entire southern range, including four mines, five mills, nine towns, a smelter, 70 miles of railroad, and thousands of acres of timberland. At the center of this sprawling empire stood the town where it all began – Painesdale.

Named after Copper Range’s chief investor and superintendent – William Paine – the town of Painesdale served as the home to the company’s corporate headquarters. Residing in the small community were both the Copper Range Offices as well as the Superintendent’s Residence. The town was also home to the Copper Range’s first mine opened along the range – the Champion. Due to Painesdale’s important stature, the town received a greater share of the company’s paternalist offerings including a spectacular sandstone school building and beautifully adorned public library and bathhouse.

Click on an image below for more information.

Albert Paine Memorial Methodist Church

Paine Memorial Church

Painesdale – This simple gothic inspired church was built in 1907 in honor of Rev. Albert Paine, father of the town’s namesake William Paine.

Champion Captain's Office

Champion Captain’s Office

Painsedale – This simple wood framed structure served as the office and private change room for the man in charge of the Champion No.4’s underground operations.

Champion Machine Shop

Champion Machine Shop

Painesdale – The Champion Mine’s massive machine shop managed to outlive the mine it was built for, serving the needs of the developing White Pine mine several years after the Champion’s closure.

Champion No. 2 Hoist House

Champion No. 2 Hoist House

Painesdale – Built to serve the No.2 shaft, this stately sandstone and brick structure once housed one of the Champion Mine’s massive steam powered hoist engines.

Champion No. 3

Champion No. 3

Painesdale – The old railroad spur that once served this dismantled shaft has been replaced with a road, providing an intimate view of the massive sandstone and concrete foundation that remains.

Champion No. 4

Champion No. 4

Painesdale – This towering steel sheathed shaft house was once one of four identical structures erected by the Champion Mine at the turn of the century to pillage its portion of the Baltic Lode.

Champion Oil House

Champion Oil House

Painesdale – This petite brick building housed storage tanks and dispensing equipment for the Champion Mines supply of lubricating oil.

Copper Range Company Office

Copper Range Company Office

Painesdale – This large abandoned building was once home to the Copper Range Company’s main offices and houses a massive two story safe.

Copper Range Depot

Copper Range Depot

Painesdale – This small rural depot was the last stop for the Copper Range’s school train, which would deliver students from all across the company’s mill and mining communities to its high school at Painesdale.

Painesdale High School

Painesdale – Easily the keweenaw’s most impressive school building, this massive gothic inspired sandstone beauty was built in 1909 by the Copper Range Company, which operated the successful Champion Mine nearby.