Mohawk

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Locations

While the copper rich Kearsarge Lode was successfully tracked for several miles north of Calumet, the trail ran cold on the other side of the Allouez Gap. The first mine to attempt to find the northern extension of the lode was the Fulton, which failed to find any copper and was quickly abandoned. But it was the discovery of pieces of copper clinging to the roots of a fallen tree that had perked the interest of John Stanton, who bought the Fulton lands and began new explorations near the fallen tree. Under the tree was a shallow copper lode, that turned out to the that northern extension of the Kearsarge that the Fulton had unsuccessfully attempted to find.

The Mohawk was one of the last mines to open along the Kearsarge, but it happen to be one of the most successful. A total of six shafts were sunk along the length of the lode, and a thriving community sprung up alongside it which would become the town of Mohawk. By 1920 the success of the mine prompted the street railway company to extend its line to the town, establishing Mohawk as the northern frontier of the Keweenaw’s copper empire.

The arrival of the Depression, however, would force the closure of several mines around Mohawk, including the Mohawk Mine itself. Fortunately a new mine would climb up out of the ashes to help the town recover, a mine operated by the great C&H Mine itself. This was the Ahmeek, whose No.3/4 shaft sat just to the south of town. This new mine would continue to operate up to the very end, finally closing along with the rest of the industry in the late 60’s. Because of that, a great deal of Mohawk continues to stand still today, and the town has the distinction of being the largest in the county.

Click on an image below for more information.

Ahmeek No. 3/4

Ahmeek No. 3/4

Mohawk – This unique dual shaft almost single handily saved C&H from early closure. Though its massive rock house was demolished, most of its sprawling surface plant can still be seen alongside US41.

Seneca No. 3

Seneca No. 3

Mohawk – While the Seneca Mine may have closed down over a half century ago it continues to serve as home for a community of bats – thanks to the specially designed bat-cage adorning its No.3 shaft.

Mohawk No.3

Mohawk -The rock piles from the No.3 shaft sits just east of town behind the old Mohawk School.

Mohawk No.5

Mohawk – The concrete foundations from this old Mohawk shaft’s rock house sit right alongside the road along conveniently labeled No.5 road.

Mohawk No.6

Mohawk – The last shaft to be sunk by the Mohawk Mine, the remains of the No.6 are adorned by a towering concrete pillar once used to support the rock house’s drop hammer.

Mohawk Powder House

Mohawk Powder House

Mohawk – Built in 1915 this rock walled building was once used to store the explosives required at the neighboring Mohawk Mine.Learn More…