Laurium

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Locations

It wasn’t long before C&H’s success prompted several more mine companies to set up shop nearby, bringing with them a deluge of new workers to the region. Unfortunately the small village of Red Jacket was physically unable to make room for these new arrivals, since it was bordered on all sides by C&H property. Taking advantage of the situation would be C&H’s neighbor to the east, the Laurium Mining Company. In 1877 the newly formed company began selling off lots within its land holding, platting out the village of Calumet in the process. Overflow from Red Jacket quickly moved in and Calumet’s population swelled to over 5,000. Before long this growing population would demand its own post office, and the town was forced to change its name from Calumet (a name already taken by the Red Jacket post office) to Laurium.

From the beginning Laurium was primarily a residential community, though it did mange to develop its own modest commercial district. Since most of the area’s working class lived in company provided housing, Laurium became home to primarily the rich and elite: mine managers, agents, business owners and the like. Soon the village streets became lined with some of the largest and most opulent homes in the Keweenaw – most built in the elaborate Queen Anne Style.

Click on an image below for more information.

Campbell House

Laurium – One of the last grand homes to be built in Laurium, this brick behemoth was the home of Calumet & Arizona mining company attorney who would later serve as the company’s president.

Carlton House

Laurium – This Colonial Revival beauty was crafted out of sandstone for hardware retailer Frank Carlton, who would go one to become the first president of Michigan’s Retail Hardware Association.

Charles Briggs School

Laurium – Built in 1907, this stately brick school building was the last of the area’s original elementary schools to close its doors – in 1977.

Daniell House

Laurium – This large home was built for the widow of Osceola Mine captain and famed Tamarack Mine architect John Daniell around 1905.

First National Bank of Laurium

Laurium – Erected in 1907 in an incredibly rich Italian Renaissance style, this heavily terra-cotta embellished masterpiece originally housed the First National Bank of Laurium.

Gipp Memorial

Laurium – Legendary college football star George Gipp – who was born and raised in the residential community of Laurium – is honored at this small park built in his name.

Hecla Cemetery

Laurium – Originally established in 1880, this small cemetery set within C&H’s Hecla Location was quickly abandoned and today is hardly recognizable in its heavily overgrown state.

James Hoatson House

Laurium – This stately home was built for mining entrepreneur James Hoatson, who made his fortunes out west thanks to the Calumet & Arizona Mining Company.

Latowski House

Laurium – This stately home was built for Laurium Mining Company president Joseph Latowski in a rather subdued Queen Anne style.

Laurium Village Hall

Laurium – Looking more like a medieval castle then a village hall, this sandstone faced structure was built in 1914 using stone reclaimed from the village’s old gutters.

MacDonald House

Laurium – This rather impressive brick mansion was built for druggist Norman MacDonald and featured over 34 rooms and six fireplaces.

Marta Block

Laurium – Built in 1900 this picturesque three story sandstone building was originally home to a bakery and lodge hall.

Milligan House

Laurium – This Classical Revival home was built in 1907 for long time C&H superintendent Captain James Milligan.

Roehm House

Laurium – Skilled stone mason and local contractor Paul Roehm built this impressive sandstone masterpiece as a showpiece home for his company.

State Savings Bank

Laurium – Built in 1901, this three story brick and sandstone commercial block was home to Laurium’s State Savings Bank.

Thielman House

Laurium – Built for lumber tycoon William Thielman, this beautiful home exemplifies the Victorian age Queen Anne style of architecture.

Thomas Hoatson House

Laurium – Easily the largest and most opulent home in the Keweenaw, this massive 13,000 square feet 45 room masterpiece was built in 1908 for the vice president of the Calumet and Arizona Mining Company.

Vivian House

Laurium – This tree shrouded home was built in 1896 for businessman Johnson Vivian, whose local department store had quickly grown to become one of the region’s largest.

Vivian’s Department Store

Laurium – Built in 1894 this three story Italian Renaissance styled building wasy home to the region’s largest department store.