Hancock

Copper Country Heritage Guide - Locations

Only five years since the Keweenaw Copper rush first began, a group of speculators invested in mineral rights atop the steep hillside along Portage Lake and formed the Quincy Mining Company. For the next decade work continued sporadically at the mine without success. It wasn’t until 1856 – with the discovery of the copper rich Pewabic Lode – that the mine’s success was finally assured. With success came a massive influx in people to the area, prompting the mine in 1859 to sell off plats of land along the base of the hill to arriving merchants and businessmen. This new community became known as the city of Hancock.

In the beginning Hancock was nothing more than an oversized mining town, owned and controlled by the Quincy Mine. Quickly, however, the town outgrew its copper masters and by 1863 had established an independent municipal government. For the next several decades Quincy continued to platt and sell off more land as demand warranted, increasing the size of the city substantially. By the turn of the century it had become the second largest city in the region – just behind Houghton.

A large amount of Hancock’s growth was due to Finnish immigrants, who moved to the area to work at the Quincy Mine. The regions similarity in topography and weather to their homeland prompted many of these immigrants to remain in the area, buying up recently cleared land atop Quincy Hill for farming. In 1896 the Finnish Lutheran Church established Suomi Academy in the city to fulfill the spiritual and educational needs of those Finnish residents. It became a fully accredited college in 1924, and exists still today as Finlandia University.

Click on an image below for more information.

Close House

Close House

Hancock – This stately brick and shingled house was built in 1902 for a local businessmen that began his career as bookkeeper for the Fist National Bank of Hancock.

D&N Bank Building

Hancock – This unique art-deco styled building was built in 1939 to house the main branch of the Detroit and Northern Savings and Loan, which would later become D&N Bank.

First National Bank (1888)

Hancock – This Classical Revival brick and terra cotta trimmed building was originally built in 1888 for the First National Bank of Hancock.

First National Bank (1905)

First National Bank (1905)

Hancock – Fronted with massive fluted columns and sporting a engraved pediment over its main entrance, this Classic Revival inspired beauty was the result of a massive 1913 renovation to the second home to the First National Bank of Hancock.

Hancock Central High

Hancock – This Gothically inspired sprawling brick building was built in 1922 to replace the city’s original wood-framed structure that had been destroyed by fire.

Hancock City Hall

Hancock City Hall

Hancock – Built in 1899, this handsome sandstone building features a wood clock tower and magnificent arched opening fronting the upper floor council chamber.

Harris House

Hancock – After becoming superintendent of the Quincy Mine, Samuel Harris was able to build this massive brick house in the prestigious neighborhood of East Hancock around 1909.

Hotel Scott

Hancock – This massive five story brick building was once home to Hancock’s most prestigious hotel featuring over 90 rooms laid out around a centralized sunlit atrium.

Interurban Car Barn

Hancock – This large building housed the Houghton County Traction Company’s main offices as well as its fleet of interurban trolley cars when the line was out of service.

Kauth House

Hancock – This classical revival style house was built for local businesmen Andrew Kauth, who owned several successful saloons in the Hancock area.

Lakeside Cemetery

Hancock – Established in 1895 this large garden style cemetery sitting atop a wooded bluff overlooking the Portage Canal succeeded a pair of neglected sectarian plots located in town.

Lieblein House

Hancock – Originally built in 1895, this iconic Victorian home would become the home of Edward Lieblein, owner of a popular wholesale grocer.

Lieblein’s Wholesale Grocer

Hancock – Serving as the headquarters for the Lieblein’s Grocery business, this impressive sandstone complex features the store’s main warehouse along with a complimenting storefront.

Mesnard No.8

Hancock – Originally opened in 1862, the old Mesnard Mine would later end up in the hands of the neighboring Quincy Mine. Over a century later it would be home to a last ditch effort to re-open the region’s copper industry to no avail.

North Entry Light

Hancock – This art-deco inspired design accenting a sprawling rock breakwall was built in 1950 to replace an earlier light marking the entrance to the Portage Canal.

Old Main

Hancock – This beautiful sandstone structure was built in 1900 to house the nation’s first and only Finnish school – Suomi College.

Paavola Homestead

Paavola Homestead

Hancock – The remains of an old homestead found within the public confines of the Paavola Wetlands sanctuary.

Stratton House

Hancock – This small unassuming house was the childhood home for famed pottery artist Mary Chase Perry Stratton – founder of Detroit based Pewabic Pottery.

Quincy Roundhouse

Hancock – This rock walled locomotive house – complete with four stalls and maintenance area – served the Quincy Mine’s own short line railroad running between its mill and mine.

Quincy Dry House

Hancock – This massive stone building served as Quincy’s primary dry house, where workers could change and wash up before returning home at the end of their shifts.

Quincy Blacksmith & Machine Shop

>Hancock – Built on land previously owned by the neighboring Pewabic Mine, these massive sandstone and brick structures repaired and maintained the Quincy Mine’s collection of tools and equipment.

Quincy Mine Office

Quincy Mine Office

Hancock – Built in 1897, this stately sandstone building served as the national headquarters of the Quincy Mining Company.

Quincy No.9

Hancock – Sitting on land originally owned by the failed Pontiac Mine, this remote shaft was part of a failed effort by the Quincy Mine to open new land along the Pewabic Lode.

Quincy No.2

Hancock – Built in 1908 to replace an earlier wood structure, this five story steel monstrosity represented a Copper Country at its peak, utilizing the most advanced and efficient mining methods available at the time.

Salo School

Hancock – This small one-room school houses served the educational needs of Finnish children living among the various farms scattered across the landscape north of Hancock.

Schnieder Building

Hancock – Built in 1906 this three story brick commercial block housed apartments on its upper floors and the Schneider owned saloon on its first.

Temple Jacob

Hancock – The first and only Synagogue in the Upper Peninsula, this petite sandstone and brick structure was built in 1912 and named in honor of the area’s most prominent Jewish resident – Jacob Gartner.

Waasa Cemetery

Hancock -This small secluded burial ground served the community of Finnish farmers that staked claim to the highlands north of Hancock.

Wright Block

Hancock – Originally built in 1900, this Classically inspired brick and sandstone beauty was home to Superior National Bank and Gartner’s Department Store.