Tag Archives: Trestle

Bridging the Gap (p2)

featured

The tall rocky precipices lining the walls of the Hungarian Gorge were an impressive obstacle for any transportation route hoping to bridge the communities of Torch Lake to the mining towns to the north or the port cities to the south. While the impressive Copper Range trestle continues to cross …

Bridging the Gap (p1)

featured

The rugged spine of the Keweenaw drops precariously and quickly from its heights atop the Calumet Plateau down to the deep and dark waters of Torch Lake some several hundred feet below. Along the way the landscape is broken in two by the passage of the Keweenaw Fault, a deep …

A Trolley Ride (p5)

featured

Photo courtesy Superiorland Library Cooperative, Andrew C. Curto Collection After our brief stop at Electric Park, our motorman once again starts up the street car again and we continue along our journey. North of the park our car passes through a narrow tunnel lined with trees and brush on either …

A Copper Range Crossing

featured

Taking a trip up Lake Linden Hill a traveler will find themselves passing under a squat viaduct crossing the highway, a crossing which once carried the C&H Railroad across the road on its way northward towards the Ahmeek Mine. The crossing is perhaps the region’s youngest, its current incarnation having …

Some Old Photos of Industry

featured

Continuing with our look at the 1904 “Souvenir of the Copper Country”, we now focus our attention on photos showcasing the empire itself – the copper industry. This is, of course, by far the favorite subject of the souvenir and there are numerous shots of mines, mills, and smelters to …

The Reverberatory Trestle

featured

For over 70 years the sprawling smelter complex along Portage Lake – otherwise known as the Quincy Smelting Works – processed millions of tons of copper for not only the Quincy Mine but numerous other area mines as well. In the process the complex produced over a hundred thousands tons …

In the Trenches

featured

By the time the mines of the southern range had come to fruition the convenience of utilizing neighboring Portage Lake for the complimenting mills had become unattainable, thanks to the government’s concern about the navigability of the Portage Canal. Thus the mines of the south were forced to search elsewhere …

When Trestles Collide

featured

Having found ourselves the remains of a rather expansive rail bridge in the middle of the woods, we looked for the next logical piece of the puzzle: the rail line itself. Following along with the towering concrete pedestals above our heads, we moved southward and found ourselves scaling a rather …

A Walk Among Giants

featured

The pine forests of the Keweenaw’s northern extremities fade away as you head southward, slowly transforming into the broad leafed hardwoods that blanket most of the southern range. This has always been my favorite type of forest, with its high broad canopy creating a sort of fairytale cathedral all about …

Under a Canopy of Yellow

featured

Leaving the sandstone and brick embellished hoist foundation behind, we headed across the old roadway at the Trimountain No.2 to a ruin of a slightly different make. Instead of the calico draped foundations found earlier we found ourselves looking at a mammoth grey block of concrete rising up from the …

Anatomy of a Trestle (p2)

featured

While all the action on a train trestle may have occurred atop the rail deck and attached girders (the trestles superstructure), the real work occurred down on the valley’s floor, where the bridge’s compliment of steel piers (the sub structure) worked to hold the train and its cargo high above …

Anatomy of a Trestle (p1)

featured

The three Firesteel Trestles found along the old Copper Range line north of Lake Mine are messages in a bottle, a living example of the kind of turn of the century technology that helped transform the Copper Country into one of the country’s premier mining districts. While trestles like them …

The Firesteel Trestles

featured

The Copper Range Railroad began its journey to the Keweenaw from the small town of McKeever, at an intersection with the Chicago Minneapolis & St. Paul Railroad known as Range Junction. From there the line headed first northward towards Lake Mine before turning to the northeast to follow alongside the …

A Trestle Runs Through It?

featured

Accompanying any hoist is a boiler, a ruin that is always close nearby. Unfortunately most boiler ruins are rather skimpy affairs, with not much surviving to make an easy identification. Lucky for us, however, we would come across something that would make such and identification easy. Remains of a coal …

Mill Mine Junction (p3)

featured

While the Copper Range’s main yard was located down along the Houghton waterfront, one of the most active areas along the railroad’s 50+ miles of line could arguably be the crossing points at Mill Mine junction. In addition to the daily compliment of freight and passenger traffic, the junction also …

Old Mill Hill Trestle

featured

It would be the short lived South Pewabic Mine that first laid claim to this steep ridge line that rises up along Canal Road just west of Houghton. The company had planned to pillage the rich Pewabic Lode that the Quincy Mine had so successfully mined across the canal, along …

The Wall

featured

After four years of exploring the Copper Country the moments where I find something that truly amazes me are starting to become scarce. Once you’ve seen a couple dozen rockhouse remains you’re not exactly excited by the 25th one. But in those waning moments of light at the Franklin Jr. …

Tramways (p2)

featured

The slag skimmed from the furnaces was not simply a waste product that could be disposed of right away. While consisting primarily of waste rock there was still a fair amount of copper to be found as well. To remove those last remaining drops of copper the slag would be …

The Mineral House

featured

The Quincy Smelter’s Mineral House (marked with an arrow) was built in 1904 to replace the old railroad warehouse sitting in front of it. While the Quincy Smelting Works were constructed in 1898, the complex wouldn’t acquire a dedicated mineral house for six more years. In those early years copper …

A Pillar

featured

Before moving on from the Isle Royale No. 4 boiler house, there was one other thing that caught our eye hidden deep in the woods. From afar it looked like a concrete pillar, a good five feet square and standing about a dozen feet in height. It was like nothing …

A Traprock Valley Railroad Trestle

featured

The Ahmeek Mine – a C&H prize from consolidation It was in 1923 that C&H’s dominance over the Copper Country reached its peak, resulting in its takeover of nearly every independent mine still operating in the Calumet region. Under its new “consolidated” moniker, C&H was now in complete control of …

An Eagle River Trestle

featured

As the Eagle River makes its way north towards the big lake it turns and tumbles its through a narrow gorge beset on all sides by sheer cliffs and rocky outcroppings that makes the river’s journey much more challenging. Its a beautiful and rugged landscape that looks more like something …

A C&H Trestle

featured

It was November of 1887 that a major fire swept through the Calumet Conglomerate workings at C&H. Due to C&H’s heavy use of timbering underground, the fire spread quickly and was soon large enough to force the closure of the entire mine. Shafts were sealed in the hoped to smother …