Architecture

Hancock

Downtown Hancock (p1)

The Copper Empire hit its peak in the early 1910s, a time when employment and opportunity was at its greatest…
Hancock

At the Crossroads

Hancock’s precarious perch along the steep slopes of Quincy Hill greatly constrained the young village’s original platt. As such the only…
Hancock

The Scott Hotel

In 1906 the Copper Country was all grown up. As the new century dawned what was once nothing more then a…
Calumet

The C&H Bathhouse

It’s a rather unassuming structure, the squat brick building found at the corner of the US41 / M26 junction in…
Lake Linden

Lake Linden’s High School

For a time Lake Linden’s school building was rather unremarkable; a simple wood framed building built in 1881 for a…
Calumet

The Central School

With the discovery of the great Calumet Conglomerate Lode in 1864, the vast marshlands along the Keweenaw’s central plateau would…
Locations

The Vanishing of South Range

The collapse of the great Copper Empire took with it not only the thousands of jobs directly tied to mining,…
Calumet

The Presbyterian

Just outside of village limits atop property original owned by the C&H Mine sits a trio of small churches huddled…
Hubbell

Saint Cecilia Church

With the erection of the C&H smelter the small town of Grover quickly became inundated with those seeking employment in…
Hubbell

The Only Bank in Town

By the start of the twentieth century the  town formally known as South Lake Linden found itself with a beorgening…
Champion Mine

Gone But Not Forgotten

After the discovery of the great southern copper lode – the Baltic – companies rushed into the once remote and…
Scrapbook

Some Old Photos of Buildings

A few months back one of CCE’s readers sent me a tip on an old photo book about the Copper…
Hancock

The Wright Facade

The great Copper Empire reached its peak at the height of the Victorian Age, and thus the great buildings and…
Houghton

The Legacy of James Dee

There was much money to be had in in the Copper Country at the end of the nineteenth century, especially…
Houghton

St. Ignatius of Loyola

In a region where Calumet was home to no less then six separate Roman Catholic churches, it seems odd to…
Houghton

Grace Methodist Church

The old wood-framed church that served Grace Methodist Episcopal Church was nothing more then a room with four walls and…
Calumet

The Croatian Co-Operative

The idea of the great American melting pot was more myth than reality, at least in the short term. While…
Calumet

The Calumet and Hecla Library

Almost a full decade before Carnegie money found its way to the Copper Country, it was financial support from another…
Calumet

The Schumaker Block

Frank Schumaker was a first generation American, born in Centriville Wisconsin in 1859. His parents – Frederick and Henrietta –…
Hancock

Making a Statement

Hancock’s original compliment of public schools were anchored by a large campus sitting in the heart of the city along…
Laurium

Prosperity Lost (p8)

After passing by the 1st National Bank you find yourself on the north end of 3rd street, and while the…
Laurium

Prosperity Lost (p6) – The State Savings Bank Building

Passing Laurium’s incredible redstone clad village hall, you find yourself arriving at the corner of 3rd and Hecla Streets –…
Laurium

Prosperity Lost (p5) – The Laurium Village Hall

With the old village of Calumet’s transformation into the village of Laurium, the newly minted village government built a modest…
Laurium

Prosperity Lost (p2)

As was the case with most of the Copper Country’s growing communities, the commercial district of early Calumet was molded…
Laurium

Prosperity Lost (p1)

When Captain Vivian built his store along the newly formed Village of Calumet’s eastern end, the village was still only…