AhmeekCopper Country Explorer - Explorations
“When mining interests first descended on the Allouez gap, they found a wet and marshy stretch of land, flooded through the diligent work of resident beavers. Unfortunately for the beaver, the highly rich Kearsarge Amygdaloid Lode was found to run right through the middle of this massive marsh. As man moved in the dams were destroyed, the marshes drained and filled, and the once prevalent beaver driven away. Their legacy was honored, however, with the formation of the Ahmeek Mining Company whose name was derived from the Ojibway word for beaver – amik.
It was the same name that was also given to the nearby village of Ahmeek. Like at most mines, a collection of worker housing developed nearby which became known as Ahmeek location. But unlike most mines a second town-site with the same name was growing nearby. A pair of Calumet real estate dealers had seen the quick development of the Ahmeek Mine and knew that in such a swampy area real-estate would be in high demand. The men bought up land across the way from the already established Ahmeek location and platted out a second Ahmeek, selling land high in demand. Soon this area bloomed, and in 1909 became incorporated as a village. While most mines supported a single town, the Ahmeek Mine was now supporting two.”