The Ojibway Mine originally consisted of over 2500 acres, located four miles north-east of the Mohawk Mine. It was first opened in 1909 by a single shaft set on the northern end of the property, followed soon thereafter by a second shaft to the south. As was the case with most Keweenaw Mines, things looked rather promising at the beginning. A rather extensive surface plant was developed, which included over a dozen structures along with a trio of bunk houses. A spur line of the Keweenaw Central was also built out to the property to deliver coal and transport any liberated copper. Even a small town-site was cleared and platted a half mile to the west, complete with 24 single family dwellings and its own railroad station. The Ojibway seemed destined for greatness.
Unfortunately destiny had other plans for the scrappy mine. In 1913 the mine was closed and shuttered, never to be re-opened again. By 1943 the entire surface plant had been scrapped for the war effort, and the houses at the nearby town sold and shipped away. The Ojibway was dead, leaving behind only a pair of rock piles and several old foundations in memorial. Its a condition in which we find it still in today, more than a half century later.