Michigan Tech

The Michigan School of Mines was established at the dawn of the Copper Empire’s reign across the Keweenaw, born from the burgeoning demand for trained engineers and mining professionals. In the beginning the young school was limited to holding classes in Houghton’s town hall, but by the turn of the century had grown large enough to warrant the establishment of an official campus. In response the school built its first building in 1889, known originally as State Hall but later became known as Hubbell Hall after one of the school’s primary benefactors. In the years to follow, Hubbell Hall would be joined by several more buildings, and by 1910 the campus would grow to encompass a total of seven main buildings and several support structures.

Houghton

Going Old School

The Michigan School of Mines was established at the dawn of the Copper Empire’s reign across the Keweenaw, born from…
Michigan Tech

The Michigan College of Mines (p1)

What is known today as Michigan Technological University was born as the Michigan Mining School over a century ago in…
Michigan Tech

The Michigan College of Mines (p2)

As the century turned and the Victorian age reached its twilight years, the Copper Country experienced a spring bloom as…
Michigan Tech

The Michigan College of Mines (p3)

For a decade the campus of the Michigan College of Mines remained frozen in time, anchored by the soaring tower…
Michigan Tech

Making Room For Progress

In 1966 president Lyndon Johnson signed into law the National Historic Preservation Act, a particularly meaty piece of legislation that…
Michigan Tech

DHH

By the time the dark cloud of the Depression descended upon the Copper Country the Michigan College of Mines had grown out of…