Wolverine Mill

The modern Wolverine Mill was opened in 1902 along the shores of Lake Superior near the burgeoning town of Gay. Built in the 1890’s to replace the mine’s original wood mill back at the mine site, this new structure was a smaller cousin of the Mohawk’s Mill – which was being built next door around the same time. True to the close partnership between the two John Stanton-operated mines, the mills shared a pump house and a superintendent, were built simultaneously, and closed within years of each other. The Wolverine would shut down 7 years before the Mohawk, in 1925.

Guest Post

Guest Post: The Wolverine Mill (p1)

The following guest post is contributed by Ian Tomashik, a sophomore at Dearborn High School outside of Detroit. Ian is…
Guest Post

Guest Post: The Wolverine Mill (p2)

The following guest post is contributed by Ian Tomashik, a sophomore at Dearborn High School outside of Detroit. Ian is…
Industry

The Elusive Wolverine (p1)

Though largely overshadowed by C&H’s rapid rise to dominance at the end of the 19th century, there was for a…
Industry

The Elusive Wolverine (p2)

The Wolverine Mine’s early years were tarnished by the same fallacy of thought that doomed countless other failed mines across…
Industry

The Elusive Wolverine (p3)

The Central Mill Ruins If one were to look at a map of the Keweenaw around the turn of the…
Industry

The Elusive Wolverine (p4)

Though common at one time, the inland mill like the type utilized at the old Wolverine are something of a…