There are many like it to be found scattered across the region, a mine of such promise and hope that turns sharply into an endeavor of futility. In the case of the Carp Lake Mine, that promise wilted on a particularly difficult type of conglomerate embedded in sandstone. The mine was operated sporadically for almost half a century between 1858 and 1900, during which time enough capital was invested in the project to facilitate the erection of a small stamp mill along the eastern shore of old Carp Lake (now Lake of the Clouds). Unfortunately the machinery installed was insufficient in properly milling the fine copper and much was carried out to the lake without being captured. The property was eventually abandoned for good, leaving both the mine and mill to rot away along the slopes of the Porcupine mountains.