Allouez Mill

“It was 1869 that the Allouez Mine began operations atop Bumbletown Hill, sinking a trio of shafts into what would become known as the Allouez Conglomerate bed. With the mine came a need for a mill, and the company turned to the nearest source of water it could find: the Hills Creek. This creek tumbled down from atop Bumbletown Hill and the Calumet Plateau and made its way down into a deep valley before emptying into the lake. It was at the head of that valley that the Allouez constructed a three-head stamp mill, and a short-line railroad (The Allouez Railroad) was built connecting the mill to the shafts atop the hill.”

Red Sands

featured

It was 1869 that the Allouez Mine began operations atop Bumbletown Hill, sinking a trio of shafts into what would become known as the Allouez Conglomerate bed. With the mine came a need for a mill, and the company turned to the nearest source of water it could find: the …