The mine’s of the Copper Country were generally self-reliant except for three things which they could not find along the peninsula: coal, iron, and explosives. For that time these items were transported here from elsewhere at high cost to the mine companies. In an attempt to lower these costs, the controlling interests of the Tamarack and Osceola Mines invested in the construction of the area’s first explosives plant at Woodside in 1884. By the turn of the century the plant had come under the control of C&H (who had bought up the Tamarack and Osceola properties) and Dupont (who had bought up the plant’s parent company) but by that time the plant had become obsolete and unprofitable. C&H and Dupont then proceeded to invest in the construction of a new modern plant deep within the Dollar Peninsula in a place that would become known as Senter…..