Monthly Archives: September 2014

The Tamarack Canal

featured

In 1882 the Tamarack Mine began the long and laborious task of digging over a mile into the earth in search of what it hoped would be the bottom reaches of the copper-rich Calumet Conglomerate lode. By 1887 the impossible became the possible, and the great riches of the lode …

The Norwegian Lutheran Church

featured

The first Norwegian Lutheran Church was built in 1871, and was known as the Scandinavian Lutheran Church.  This was because the building not only served those hailing from Norway but all Scandinavians as well. The first church was built along Pine Street soon after, and four years later the congregation …

The Quarry Dock

featured

The great Copper Empire that once ruled the Keweenaw’s shores may have been figuratively built of copper, but it was literally built of another material mined from the peninsula – sandstone. For the last third of the nineteenth century this iron-stained stone was all the rage, and to meet demand …

Those Left Behind

featured

Anna Kraemer (age 6) and Amanda Kremer (age 13) – Cliff Cemetery, Cliff John and Unknown- Hillside Cemetery, Cliff Unknown – Pine Grove Cemetery, Eagle Harbor James and Mary Prideau and infant son Peter – Evergreen Cemetery, Eagle River John Pascoe – Schoolcraft Cemetery, Calumet Unknown – Hecla Cemetery, Calumet …

From a Previous Life

featured

Standing tall at the west end of Houghton’s main thoroughfare is a particularly handsome three story sandstone building etched with the words “smart zone” across its top. The building is an incubator space for the MTEC (Michigan Tech Enterprise Center) Smartzone. It’s a building used to help new high-tech businesses …