Month: February 2010

Mines

The Town of Ojibway

Across the Keweenaw copper mines were often joined by a mining location, a small collection of worker housing built by…
Mines

The Big Picture

The Ojibway mine was home to two shafts. The northern shaft was known as the No.1, and was sunk at…
Mines

Along the Muddy Banks…

With the remains of the compressor house behind us, we turned our attention eastward back towards the boiler complex and…
Mines

The Compressor House

Heading westward in the direction dictated by that old utility tunnel led us to a collection of brick ruins scattered…
Mines

The Ojibway Boiler House

It was surprising that we hadn’t noticed it before, as large and monolithic as it was. Standing alone and set…
Mines

The Catacombs

After leaving behind the foundation to the Blacksmith shop it wasn’t long until we found ourselves face to face with…
Mines

The Ojibway Mine

The copper-rich Kearsarge Lode was first discovered in 1882, and within several years enterprising ming companies had acquired mineral rights…
Mines

A Shaft and an Adit

Perhaps unbeknownst to most CCE readers out there is our policy of not referring to or mentioning any open mine…
Locations

A Paavola Homestead

Sitting along the northern outskirts of Quincy Hill is the small farming community of Paavola – a village with a…
Locations

A Whealkate Homestead

For the most part the majority of the Keweenaw Peninsula was owned by mine companies, land acquired for either its…
Locations

The Limerick Church

This interesting old church sits alone and abandoned near the Quincy Mine, in what use to be a small community…
Isle Royale Mine

That Which Survives (p2)

As first built, the Isle Royale’s original surface plant consisted of a series of rather small wood-framed buildings set upon…
Isle Royale Mine

That Which Survives (p1)

For the most part copper mines along the Keweenaw erected very modest surface plants, directing most of their money into…