Monthly Archives: May 2007

Industrial Core

featured

looking across the industrial core in Calumet Sandwiched between the towns of Red Jacket (later Calumet) and Laurium was an immense industrial corridor stretching over a mile from the north side of Red Jacket as far south as Osceola. This was home to the great Calumet & Hecla mine and …

Russell Snow Plow #2

featured

Railroads that operated in northern climates have to operate is some extreme conditions for a good 6 months of the year. This was especially true here in the Keweenaw, where snowfall can easily top 300 inches a year. For a time Copper Country railroads relied on the standard method of …

Dock

featured

in service to the copper empire, perhaps… The Copper Country is a one industry town. For over a century the copper mine was king, and all things across the peninsula existed to serve it. Railroads existed to transport copper. Towns existed to house the workers. Businesses existed to serve the …

Arcadia Junction

featured

an old rusted railroad sign that once signaled the upcoming Arcadia junction and siding The Arcadian Copper Company thought they were on to something big when they attempted to open the northern extension of the Isle Royale lode. At the southern end of the lode the Isle Royale Consolidated Mining …

An Old Allouez Album

featured

peeking out from a cedar grove sits the short epitaph to an old soul The first Allouez Mine – Old Allouez – was begun in 1869. The mine used two shafts to open the newly discovered Allouez Conglomerate Lode sitting at the base of a hill later known as Bumbletown …

The Mystery Tower

featured

Sitting next to the hoist building at the Allouez-Douglas Mine stands a mysterious structure. It’s a wooden tower, rising three stories in height. While it stands separate from the rest of the building, it is connected to is by a series of pipes high up on the structure. At the …

Last Building Standing

featured

last man standing at the Allouez-Douglas Shaft The Allouez mine takes many forms. It is in fact three different mines in one, working three completely different lodes. First there was the original mine which worked the Allouez Conglomerate lode starting in 1869 (usually referred to the “Old Allouez”). These three …

Core Samples

featured

tools in the search for copper – core samples The success or failure of a copper mine depends greatly an the amount of red metal that lie trapped underground. Sinking shafts and driving long drifts underground in the search for copper is a futile and wasteful endeavor. Mining companies needed …

Garden City Dam

featured

It was the 1840’s when the Copper Country’s first copper rush came ashore. It was long the banks of the Eagle River, just a few miles inland from the current town of Eagle River now sits, where the area’s first mine started sinking shafts. The Lake Superior Mining Company operated …

Railroads of the Copper Country (KCRR)

featured

a map of the Keweenaw Central The first mines to began operations along the Keweenaw did so at the peninsula’s norther end, around old Native American pits near Copper Harbor. Soon companies explored outward discovering rich fissure deposits of copper along the way. Unlike the large lodes discovered later, these …

Railroads of the Copper Country (HCTC)

featured

A HCTC car stopped at the Douglas House station With the arrival of electricity to the Copper Country came the formation of the Houghton Country Street Railway Company in 1899. Utilizing a new method of vehicle power – the electric motor – the company constructed a power station along the …

Railroads of the Copper Country (C&H)

featured

ore cars heading from a C&H rockhouse down to it’s mill on Torch Lake The Keweenaw waterway and interconnected Torch Lake provided readily available transportation for most goods and people leaving and entering the Copper Country. While an advantage to lakeside communities such as Lake Linden, Houghton and Dollar Bay, …

Railroads of the Copper Country (CRRR)

featured

a Copper Range engine The collection of Copper Country railroads which eventually became the Duluth South Shore & Atlantic connected the mines and communities of the area to the rest of the country. They transported ore and materials from mines along the Keweenaw to their mills along Torch Lake and …

The Village (p2)

featured

The village of Ahmeek was a diamond in the ruff, a shining sample of civilization set apart from the metropolis sitting miles to the south. If you look at what remains here, in terms of a downtown district, you find a village that must have once been a bustling town. …

The Village (p1)

featured

When mining interests first descended on the Allouez gap, they found a wet and marshy stretch of land, flooded through the diligent work of resident beavers. Unfortunately for the beaver, the highly rich Kearsarge Amygdaloid Lode was found to run right through the middle of this massive marsh. As man …

Osceola No. 3

featured

remains of No. 3 at Osceola The fire at Osceola No. 3 may of been devastating to workers, but it did little to halt the shafts march of profitability for the next 30 years. The shaft, along with the rest of the lode was finally shut down by C&H in …

Legacy of Fire

featured

the productive Osceola Mine, famous not for profit but for disaster The Osceola Mine was one of the more productive and profitable mines along the Keweenaw Peninsula, mined for over 30 years without prolonged cessation. During that time it produced over 190 million pounds of copper and paid dividends to …

A Re-Alignment

featured

The Osceola Mine and the community that served it continued to grow up through the turn of the century. The mine expanded southward, opening two new shafts along the old Opechee Mine property. The town itself was expanded out as far as it could, stretching out until it sat right …